November

November
Next Issue December 1st 2016

National Grandparents Day


  National Grandparents Day


Nobody can do for little children what grandparents do.
Grandparents sort of sprinkle stardust over the lives of little children.
~Alex Haley

I had a nice visit with an elderly friend of mine the other day. She was recounting an adventure from her childhood, and I could see from the twinkle in her eye, the fond memories were a treasure as sweet as sugar.  She leaned back in her rocking chair, speaking in a soft voice weakened with age, “I didn’t have my grandma for very long but I do remember when I was only two or three.  I ran away to grandma’s house.
Me and my teddy traveled down the country road all by ourselves.  It was ‘bout a quarter mile down the road and grandma was getting ready for dinner, when I showed up on her back porch.  She set a place for me and for teddy, and we had chicken”, she reminisced. “Grandma put the chicken bones in a paper sack and told me to give them to my daddy when I got home”.
Grandma chuckled low, smiling wide at me and said to tell my daddy, if he had come to visit, he could have had chicken too.  Grandma walked me and teddy most of the way back up the hill and daddy was waiting for me at the back door. I gave him the paper sack relaying grandma’s message.
My friend leaned over to whisper to me “I thought for sure I was gonna get a whippin’ but daddy just smiled and slowly shook his head”.
_________________________________________________________________________

Don’t miss the opportunity to spend time with a grandparent or elderly friend today.  Ask them to tell you a story about their childhood.  The memories passed on will enrich your life beyond measure. 

Thank you grandma and grandpa; for sharing your wisdom, telling me stories and making me a better person.  You will forever hold a special place in my heart.
 Happy Grandparent’s day.


What children need most are the essentials that grandparents provide
in abundance. They give unconditional love, kindness,
patience, humor, comfort, lessons in life.

 And, most importantly, cookies.
~Rudy Giuliani

No comments

Leave your comment here :)

Southern Sass Magazine 2014-2015. Powered by Blogger.